Hepatitis C is a contagious liver disease that can range from mild, short illness to severe, long-lasting disease.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), an estimated 71 million people across the world have chronic Hepatitis C; roughly 3 million of those people are from the United States.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, older adults are at a much higher risk of developing Hepatitis C. They recommend that patients consult their doctor about getting a blood screening for viral infections if:
- They are a baby boomer born between 1945 and 1965.
- They have used or currently use injection drugs.
- They received a blood transfusion or donor organ before July 1992.
- They were treated for a blood-clotting disorder before 1987.
- They have liver disease or abnormal liver tests.
- They are a long-term hemodialysis patient.
- They are HIV-positive.
- They had sexual contact with a Hepatitis-C-infected partner.
- They have been exposed to another’s blood through a needle stick or sharp-object injury.
How Home Care Services Can Help
Hepatitis C prevention and early treatment can be life-saving for seniors. Royalty and Blessings Home Care, LLC can help patients with medication monitoring and recovery care needs through professional Home Care Services in Hampton, Virginia.
If you’re looking for Elderly Care services to help improve your loved one’s overall health and quality of life, we’re more than happy to help.
We also offer professional Respite Care in Virginia for family caregivers who need a little break from their caregiving duties.
Call us today for more details!